No. 306 Squadron (RAF): Second World War

Wars Battles Biographies Timeline Weapons Blog
Full Index Subjects Concepts Country Documents Pictures & Maps

Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books

No.306 'Torunski' Squadron was a Polish manned fighter squadron that took part in the offensive sweeps over France, joining Second Tactical Air Force but was diverted to the anti flying bomb campaign and ended the war providing fighter escorts for Bomber Command.

The squadron was formed on 28 August 1940 at Church Fenton, and became operation on 8 September. The squadron moved to Northolt in the spring of 1941, and spent the next six months flying offensive sweeps over occupied France, part of the RAF's policy of 'leaning over the Channel'. During this period the squadron converted from the Hurricane to the Spitfire.

In October 1941 the squadron moved to Merseyside where it performed defensive duties. This was a short break, and in December it moved to the south-west and resumed the offensive sweeps. A second break came in May-June 1942, and sweeps were then resumed.

In March 1943 the squadron moved north to Yorkshire, before in August returning to the south to join Second Tactical Air Force. In March 1944 Mustangs arrived, and the squadron provided past of the massive aerial armada that protected the D-Day landings.

Soon after D-Day the German V-1 campaign began, and No.306 Squadron was moved to the south-east to use its Mustangs against the flying bombs. This duty lasted until October, when the squadron moved to East Anglia to provide fighter escort for British bombers. The squadron continued to perform this duty until the end of the war. The squadron was disbanded on 6 January 1947. 

Aircraft
August 1940-April 1941: Hawker Hurricane I
April 1941-July 1943: Hawker Hurricane IIA
July-December 1941: Supermarine Spitfire IIB
December 1941-September 1942: Supermarine Spitfire VB
September 1942-March 1943: Supermarine Spitfire IX
May 1943-March 1944: Supermarine Spitfire VB
March 1944-January 1947: North American Mustang III

Location
August-November 1940: Church Fenton
November 1940-April 1941: Ternhill
April-October 1941: Northolt
October-December 1941: Speke
December 1941-May 1942: Churchstanton
May-June 1942: Kirton-in-Lindsey
June 1942-March 1943: Northolt
March-May 1943: Hutton Cranswick
May-August 1943: Catterick
August 1943: Gravesend
August-September 1943: Friston
September-December 1943: Heston
December 1943-January 1944: Llanbedr
January-March 1944: Heston
March 1944: Llanbedr
March-April 1944: Heston
April-June 1944: Coolham
June 1944: Holmsley South
June-July 1944: Ford
July-October 1944: Brenzett
October 1944-August 1945: Andrews Field
August-October 1945: Coltishall
October-November 1945: Fairwood Common
November 1945-January 1947: Coltishall

Squadron Codes: UZ

Duty
1941-1947: Fighter squadron

Part of
6 June 1944: No.133 Wing; No.84 Group; Second Tactical Air Force; Allied Expeditionary Air Force

Books

 

Bookmark this page: Bookmark with Delicious  Delicious  Bookmark with Facebook  Facebook   Bookmark with StumbleUpon  StumbleUpon

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (21 October 2011), No. 306 Squadron (RAF): Second World War, http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/306_wwII.html

Delicious Save this on Delicious

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader

Google Groups Subscribe to History of War
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.co.uk