Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.345 (French) Squadron (GC II/2 'Berry') was a French fighter squadron that served with 2nd Tactical Air Force, taking part in the liberation of Europe in 1944-45.
The squadron was formed on 12 February 1944 around a core of French personnel who had been transferred from North Africa. The squadron was formed in Scotland, but moved south soon afterwards and became operational on 2 May. On D-Day it was officially part of No.11 Group, Air Defence of Great Britain (formerly Fighter Command), but was under the operational command of 2nd Tactical Air Force.
During the battle of Normandy the squadron operated with No.141 Wing, 2nd TAF, and was used to fly patrols over the expanding beachhead.
In November the squadron moved to Belgium and joined three other French fighter squadrons in No.145 Wing, 2nd TAF. The wing flew offensive sweeps over Germany, attacking communications targets and troop concentrations as well as flying some bomber escort missions.
After the war the squadron remained on the continent, and on 21 November 1945 it was transferred to the Armée de l'Air.
March-September 1944: Supermarine Spitfire VB
September 1944-April 1945: Supermarine Spitfire IX
April-November 1945: Supermarine Spitfire XVI
February-April 1944: Ayr
April-August 1944: Shoreham
August-October 1944: Deanland
October-November 1944: Biggin Hill
November 1944: B.55 Wevelghem
November 1944-February 1945: B.70 Deurne
February-March 1945: B.85 Schijndel
March-April 1945: Fairwood Common
April 1945: B.85 Schijndel
April-June 1945: B.105 Drope
June 1945: A.41 Dreux
June-July 1945: B.105 Drope
July-November 1945: B.152 Fassberg
Squadron Codes: 2Y
1944-1945: Fighter Squadron, 2nd Tactical Air Force
6 June 1944: No.11 Group; Air Defence of Great Britain; Allied Expeditionary Air Force; operationally part of No.141 Wing, 2nd Tactical Air Force
Fondation de la France Libre: French language site of the Foundation for the Free French.