Graudenz class light cruisers

The Graudenz class of light cruisers were enlarged version of the Magdeburg class, built under the 1911 naval construction programme. Compared to be previous Karlsruhe class, also expanded Magdeburgs, they were 200 tons heavier and designed to be one knot faster, but were otherwise identical, carrying the same arrangement of guns and armour.

Like many German light cruisers, during the First World War their 4.1in guns were replaced by seven 5.9in guns and two 3.45in (88mm) Flak guns. Both received two torpedo tubes on deck, while Regensburg had her submerged tubes replaced by two more on deck.

Both served with the Scouting Group during the First World War. Graudenz was present at the battle of Dogger Bank (24 January 1915), but both missed Jutland.

At the end of the war Graudenz went to Italy, where she was renamed the Ancona. In 1928-29 she was given a centreline aircraft catapult, launching aircraft over a modified clipper bow. She was laid up in 1932 and struck off in 1937. Regensburg went to France, where she was renamed Strasbourg. She was finally broken up in 1944.

Displacement (loaded)


Top Speed


Armour – deck


 - belt


 - conning tower


 - gunshields


 - collision bulkhead



468ft 3in

Armaments as built

Twelve 4.1in guns
Two 19.7in submerged torpedo tubes
120 mines

Crew complement






Ships in class

SMS Graudenz
SMS Regensburg

Books on the First World War | Subject Index: First World War

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (27 September 2007), Graudenz class light cruisers,

Delicious Save this on Delicious

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies