Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.259 Squadron served as an anti-submarine warfare squadron over the Indian Ocean, from its formation in 1943 until the end of the Second World War.
The squadron reformed on 16 February 1943 in Kenya, and was equipped with Catalina flying boats. These aircraft remained in use until the squadron was disbanded in April 1945.
The squadron only operated from Kenya for a short period. Two detachments were sent to South Afirca during 1943, the first to Congella in March and the second to Langebaan in June (this detachment was short-lived and was soon replaced by No.262 Squadron). By this point most of the squadron had moved to Congella, although its official base and administration stayed in Kipevu.
In September 1943 the squadron moved again, this time to Dar-es-Salaam in Tanganyika. This remained its main base for the rest of the war, although detachments operated from Masirah, Aden and southern Madagascar, extending the area that the squadron could cover.
In March 1945 the squadron began to convert to the Sunderland, but in April this plan was cancelled, the Sunderlands were removed, and on 30 April the squadron was disbanded.
A detachment was sent to Congella in South Africa in March 1943, and a second detachment to Langebaan
February 1943-April 1945: Consolidated Catalina IB
March-April 1945: Short Sunderland V
February-September 1943: Kipevu
September 1943-April 1945: Dar-es-Salaam
Squadron Codes: G
1943-1945: Anti-submarine, Indian Ocean
|Short Sunderland Squadrons of World War 2, Jon Lake. A look at the service carrier of the most successful British flying boat of the Second World War, and a key component in Coastal Command's battle against the U-boat. Covers the introduction of the aircraft, its role in the Battle of the Atlantic, the Mediterranean, West Africa and other theatres.|