USS New Haven (CL-76)
The USS New Haven (CL-76) was laid down on 11 August 1941 as a Cleveland class light cruiser, but after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor she was one of nine incomplete Clevelands whose hulls were used as the basis for Independence class light carriers. The New Haven was redesignated as the CVL-24 on 16 February 1942 and renamed the Belleau Wood on 31 March 1942. The name New Haven was reallocated to the Cleveland class cruiser CL-109, but that ship was cancelled at the end of the war.
How to cite this article:
Rickard, J (15 July 2009), USS New Haven (CL-76) , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_USS_New_Haven_CL76.html