'G' Class Fleet Destroyer
The 'G' class fleet destroyers were built in 1935 and were designed to participate in normal fleet duties and convoy protection. Of the nine ships that were built, only HMCS Ottawa survived the war, 3 being hit by mines in 1939 - 41, two being lost during the Dunkirk evacuation (HMS Grenade to aircraft and HMS Grafton to the U-62). Eight of these ships were built for the Royal Navy, HMS Gallant, HMS Gipsy, HMS Glowworm, HMS Grenade, HMS Grenville, HMS Greyhound, HMS Garland and HMS Griffin. One was built for the Royal Canadian Navy, HMCS Ottawa. When the original Ottawa was lost in 1943, Griffin was renamed HMCS Ottawa to serve in the Royal Canadian Navy. The class can claim (at least partial) credit to sinking four U-boats: U-407, U621, U-678 and U-984. The 'G' class fleet destroyer has a standard displacement of 1,360 tins, a complement of 138, four 4.7in guns, eight torpedo tubes and depth charge throwers. They had a top speed of 35 knots.
How to cite this article: Antill, P. (12 March 2001), 'G' Class Fleet Destroyer, http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_gclassdestroyer.html
Contact Us -
About Us -
Subscribe in a reader